Do you need an interpreter or a translator in Sapporo?

There are many times when you may need a translator or interpreter with you. You might have trouble reading Japanese documents, you may be applying for a nursery school for your child or meeting with nursery staff, or you may need help when visiting health centers for consultations and procedures. For these common reasons, there are now three support desks in Sapporo that can assist you.

Sapporo International Communication Plaza Foundation ((財)札幌国際プラザ):

Sapporo Community Interpreters are dispatched to help with consultations and procedures at schools, daycares, city offices and more.  Contact the following for details. TEL 011-211-2105   Email:

2.If you are an international student of Hokkaido University,

The Institute for the Advancement of Higher Education provides a support desk staffed with international students who can answer your questions. Our multilingual staff can help you read Japanese documents, understand ward office procedures, or direct you on where to purchase necessities. Please feel free to contact us when needed.


3.If you are a female researcher or an international student at Hokkaido University,

 Promotion Office of Research environment for Diversity(Ree-D), formerly known as Support Office for Female Researchers in Hokkaido University (FResHU), will provide an interpreter to accompany you when you apply for daycare at your local health center or attend a meeting with staff at daycare centers/hoikuen.   The interpreters are called Ree-D supporters.  Female researchers need to request Ree-D supporter using the online application form.

Last reviewed on April  1, 2020