“a Pink Card” (Child Medicare Card) 子ども医療費受給者証

Sapporo city offers medical subsidies for children up to 15 years old (by the end of academic year).

Especially if your child is younger than 10 years old by the end of academic year (or up to children in third grade) and visits a medical institute for the first time, you have to pay only ¥580 for hospital, ¥510 for dentist (for both outpatient visits and hospitalization). (This service will be extended to children in sixth grade starting at April 1, 2021. ) You need to show an infant and child medicare card called “Pink card” which can be obtained by applying for this said card after receiving health insurance card with your baby’s name on it.  Be aware that it expires each year at the end of July. Be sure to get your new pink card before it expires.

For children in second grade and younger, Sapporo city confirms parents’ income every July. If your child is eligible, you will receive a new pink card by the end of July. If not, you will receive a letter.

Only hospitalization costs are covered for older children until they graduate from junior high school, though you have to pay for some items such as containers for ointment and meals if your child is hospitalized.  For those children, prior application is necessary to receive this aid. There is an income based limit on aid.

 Sapporo city offers medical subsidies for children up to 15 years old (by the end of the academic year).  This service has been extended to these fields since August 2018.

  • You can use an infant and child Medicare card which is called “Pink card” at any medical institute, not only in Sapporo city, but all over Hokkaido.
  • You can use a pink card for Home Visiting Nurse Services Fees.
  • You can also use a pink card at the same time even when the medical fee for specified pediatric chronic disease or intractable disease is paid for by the government.

For further information please refer to https://www.city.sapporo.jp/hoken-iryo/iryojosei/nyuyoji.html (Japanese)

Or contact the Public Health section (Hoken-Fukushi-ka) at the ward office (kuyakusho).

Please refer to the page “how to find a hospital”.

Last reviewed on April 1, 2020